Sunday, February 01, 2009

New Home, Slow Home

This weekend I shifted into a new flat... it is a curious set-up, as it is really a B&B with a few long-term letting arrangements.

It was great to quickly tweet a twitpic using the free wifi, with reasonable security (WPA) even if the passphrase is a touch weak... Alas, when I came to testing the ADSL speed - it would seem that I will not enjoy the pleasure of 'blistering pace'. Will repeat the test several more times, so as to get a better idea of transfer rates + gain insight into local contention.



A second test, a short while later achieved 416 kbps down,
85 kbps up, whereas thinkbroadband.com reports 550 Kbps down, 185 Kbps up. I was hoping for more than 0.5 Mbps ...

Might seek to influence a change... local search via www.adslguide.com/uk/ or www.thinkbroadband.com

1 comment:

Alexis said...

seems I am not having much joy in my "other home", where the telco-supplied ADSL modem keeps on restarting... This morning I spoke with 4 different support staff - because the phone is attached to the modem, which restarted mid-conversation!

I was told that the modem would restart if it fails to connect to the telco network (ADSL). This seemed an odd behaviour given that it kills both telephone and local routing traffic... why assume that the modem needs a hard-reboot? oh, and it is not because the embedded software is being updated - it is simply part of the reconnect logic for the modem! foolish people -