Sunday, August 31, 2008

x5 French Driving Habits I won't miss...

Observations formed after a lifetime on the roads: either as a kid passenger as we wore down the tyres across European motorways - or as a licensed road-hazard in the making. Naturally, it would be wrong to stereotype a whole nation based on biased observations. Equally, I recognise that I am no road-angel - although I do try to learn from my wicked ways...




1. indicators (any) : is it just laziness or arrogance? it seems many French drivers think we can read their minds and fail to indicate their intentions on roundabouts, motorway exits, and other junctions

2. joining a motorway: you clearly were granted a birth right to join a fast-flowing major road, without a care in the World for whoever else is present - just like your other compatriots. Oh, the give-way sign was not intended for you...?

3. exiting a motorway: if you are going to indicate after you have started to move off the motorway (onto the exit gangway), then to be honest I would prefer you do not indicate at all. Your mind is evidently not focused on driving correctly, so I would rather whatever part of your mind is aware that your are driving be focused on road safety. Indicators serve to communicate your driving intentions, it helps the other drivers accommodate your change of speed and/or change of lane/position. On some roads you can use your position in the road to communicate this - but on a motorway, with the higher speeds, it is generally a better habit to indicate some 300 metres before you actually make a move.

4. indicators (overtaking) : ok, you want to overtake - I saw you a long way off and already 'read' your driving style, save yourself the 'tick-tick-tick' sound of your constant indicator. I am at the maximum speed (more, rather than less) and already overtaking, you just have to wait your turn.

5. overtaking (bis) : no, driving up the edge of my bumper will not make me shift out of your way any faster (if anything it might tempt the opposite). I understand very well why your Citroen, Peugeot, and Renault vehicles have so many damaged front wings + why a few drivers might be tempted to touch their brakes (so as to show their brake lights) to frighten you into receding to a safer distance... {such driving habits should not to be condoned, just a shame the road-cops are focused on speeding tickets rather than overall road safely}




...and I am not suggesting for a moment that these driving habits only exist in France. There are different tendencies that can be observed on the roads across Europe, some better than others... some comical, many downright dangerous.

(I should perhaps add that I am a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, which includes a minimum 90 minute road exam, in the company of an advanced traffic cop examiner...)

No comments: